- Closed plan. County General 2009-2012; Road Commission 2011; Community Mental Health Authority 2016. Employees hired after cut off dates are not eligible for postemployment health care benefits.
- County established employee contributions for employees electing to receive postemployment benefits.
- Increased employer contributions as a percentage of payroll.
- Benefit Plan design changes implemented.
Medicare eligible retirees, if you receive a letter from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services requesting “Declaration of Prior Prescription Drug Coverage” please be sure to complete and mail the form as soon as possible. St. Clair County Retirees have creditable prescription drug coverage from another source not listed above, Blue Cross Blue Shield. A notice is mailed near the end of every year to each retiree about your prescription card coverage and Medicare. To view and print a copy of the current notice, please see Retirement Health Care Benefits page on this website. You may wish to attach a copy of this notice evidence of creditable coverage.
On September 20th, 2018 the St. Clair County Board of Commissioners reviewed several Blue Cross Blue Shield plan change options. At that time, the Board of Commissioners stated they would implement the presented options in increments. The Option 1 plan change was implemented for the 2019 plan year, the Option 3 plan change was implemented for the 2020 plan year, and the Option 5 plan change has been implemented for the 2021 plan year. The only change made for the 2021 plan year is an increase in the annual deductible from $750 to $1000. A notice with an overview of benefit changes was mailed to all health care eligible retirees and/or beneficiaries on October 30th, 2020.
On September 20th, 2018 the St. Clair County Board of Commissioners approved the benefit changes to the retiree Medicare Advantage healthcare plan for the 2019 plan year. The Board of Commissioners voted to implement option one as presented at the August workshops and informational sessions. The presented option one changes for the under 65 retiree healthcare plan will soon be approved. A notice with an overview of benefit changes was mailed to all health care eligible retirees and/or beneficiaries on October 12th, 2018. Please see copy of the notice mailed below:
On September 6th, 2018 the St. Clair County Board of Commissioners discussed potential plan design changes to the retiree health care benefit at their regular Ways and Means meeting. Please see video archive below:
On August 9th and August 22nd, 2018 representatives from Blue Cross Blue Shield presented potential plan design change options to the retirement health care benefit for the 2019 plan year. Please see links below:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Workshop Notice - August 2018
- BOC Workshop Flyer 08-07-18
- BCBS Early Retiree Presentation 08-2018
- BCBS MAPD Presentation 08-2018
For individuals who have sent in their Medicare Advantage application to Blue Cross and have not yet received a card, BCBS states that you should be able to expect it shortly. It is taking several weeks for Blue Cross to process the applications. You can call the Medicare Advantage phone number 866-684-8216 and they should be able to give you information regarding your new group number, Subscriber ID and so forth that you can present if you have an upcoming medical appointment.
For individuals who have not yet mailed their Medicare Advantage application to Blue Cross, reminder letters have been mailed to each individual and Blue Cross will be mailing new packets ASAP to each person in case they were discarded or misplaced. The cards and coverage from the previous plan will remain in force for those individuals not yet processed to the new Medicare Advantage plan through 1/31/13.
On November 7, 2012 Blue Cross Blue Shield gave a Medicare Advantage presentation to retirees who attended the Retiree Association monthly luncheon. Blue Cross will be conducting additional informational meetings at the County Administration Building, 200 Grand River Avenue, Port Huron. The meetings will be conducted in the Board of Commissioners meeting room on Wednesday, November 28th at 10:00 am, 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm and again on Friday, November 30th at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. The presentation and handouts distributed at the luncheon can be accessed at the links below:
- BCBS Medicare Advantage Presentation 11/7/12
- BCBS Medicare Advantage Summary of Benefits
- Condensed Benefit Summary Comparison
The new Hardship Application for reduced prescription co-payments was mailed on 11/09/2012. The application can be printed via the link below:
On September 6, 2012 Blue Cross Blue Shield gave a follow up presentation to the St. Clair County Board of Commissioners regarding a proposal of a Medicare Advantage program for retirees and their dependents who are age 65 and older. Below are links to a copy of the presentation and other information distributed.
- Video Presentation - BCBS Medicare Plus to BOC 9-06-12
- BCBS Medicare Plus Presentation 9-06-12
- BCBS Participating Doctor/Hospital Look Up
- Primary Physician’s within 100 mile radius report
- Specialists within 100 mile radius report
- Hospitals within 100 miles radius report
August 23, 2012 Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Advantage presentation to the St. Clair County Board of Commissioners.
Retiree Health Care Benefit Changes effective August 1, 2012.
Information regarding mailings, presentations and other links can be found below.
For more information on current coverage, web site links, contact phone numbers and other helpful links please see the “Important Documents” page of this web site.
- Questions and Answers – Retirement Health Care 07/25/12
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Presentation 06/29/12
- Notice mailed 05/31/12 Outlining Benefit Changes
- Benefit Coverage Side by side Comparison mailed 05/31/12
- Strategic Benefits – EGWP Presentation 05/1/12
The links listed below are handouts from the February 9, 2012 the St. Clair County Board of Commissioners workshop which discussed Retirement Health Care.
- SCC BOC 2/9/12 Workshop Agenda
- SCC Proposed Changes
- SCC PPO 2 vs 8 for Retirees
- Legal Opinion Memo 2-2012
- Work Group Recommendation Memo - Dated 12/20/11
- SCC Retirement System Actuarial Report Summary 2010
- Work Group Recommendation Memo - Dated 12/20/11
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 11/30/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 11/9/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 10/26/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 10/12/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 7/27/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 3/16/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 3/2/2011
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 2/9/2011
- Study Committee Process Summary Presentation 2/9/11
- Work Group Meeting Agenda – 1/19/11
- January 2011