Renae Topolewski
Edward V. Messing Jr.

31st Judicial Circuit
201 McMorran Blvd., Room 1600
Port Huron, Michigan 48060
Phone (810) 985-2285

Due to limited staff available on-site, we are unable to answer your phone calls. Please submit any communication via online at or fax at 810-985-2180. Include your email address so we can respond to your messages. Please check in with our website for further updates.

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed a "Stay home, stay safe" executive order on Monday morning, going into effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday March 24, 2020.

Michigan’s courts are taking action to lower the risk to litigants, court staff, and the public. The health and safety of our clients, employees, and community members is our absolute top priority. In order to mitigate and reduce potential exposure of the COVID-19, we are offering alternate customer service measures to the public. Due to the limited number of staff restricted from being in the office, the best method to reach us is by email. Please send us an email to and include the best email address to respond to your request.

Do I still have to send my children for parenting time?
Yes. All court orders remain in full force and effect. The executive order 2020-21 7(b)(4) issued by Governor Whitmer speaks to Friend of Court orders:
7(b) Individuals may also travel:


(4) As required by law enforcement or a court order, including the transportation of children pursuant to a custody agreement.

What do I do if I need to come in person to the office?
There will be no in-person customer service. Instead, it will be provided remotely. The preferred method to reach us is by email or fax. Due to staffing limits to comply with COVID-19 requirements, we are unable to answer routine telephone calls. Email is essential to help you through this crisis and get you the information you need. In certain circumstances, a staff member may be able to return your call on an as-needed basis. Please utilize email as the preferred method of contact.

What do I do if I need to submit documentation to the Friend of the Court?
All written correspondence submitted to the Friend of the Court should be submitted electronically to until further notice or by fax at 810-985-2180.

What do I do if I can’t submit it electronically?
We understand everyone may not have access to email or a scanner to submit their documentation. As mentioned, the preferred method is by email. If you cannot attach documentation to your email because you don’t have a scanner, consider taking a picture of it and attaching it to your email. If you are still not able to do that, mail it in but please understand there could be delays with receiving your documentation.

What do I do if I need to make a payment?
Payments will no longer be accepted in person at the office. You may pay via credit card or utilize PayNearMe to make a payment on your account. Please follow the link for the many ways you may make a payment:

What if I need to post bond on a warrant?
If you need to post a bond, please email with your questions.

How long will this change remain in effect? What else could occur?
The FOC is closely monitoring COVID-19 issues locally and statewide. Actions will be implemented based upon local and state recommendations from our public officials.

What if I have additional questions?
Please email Be sure to include your case number, name and contact information.

Mission Statement

The mission of the St. Clair County Friend of Court is to serve and educate families and assist the court in domestic relations matters to promote  the best interest of children.

Reduce or Eliminate Your
State Child Support Arrears

Click here for Pay Near Me information

January 2017 Michigan Child Support Formula Manual

January 2017 Michigan Child Support Formula Supplement

If you require special accommodations to use the court because of a disability and need auxiliary aids, or if you require a foreign language interpreter to help you fully participate in court proceedings, please contact the court immediately to make arrangements.
When contacting the court, provide your case number(s).

Family Division Judges

Honorable Cynthia A. Lane
Circuit Court Judge

Honorable Elwood L. Brown
Presiding Judge - Probate Division

Honorable John D. Tomlinson
Probate Judge