St. Clair County Resource Recovery Office

Household Pesticides

Pesticides are chemicals designed to control pests such as weeds, insects and rodents. They can be poisonous to pets, livestock, wildlife and humans and some are banned or restricted because they have long-lasting hazardous effects on the environment. Throwing pesticides in the trash, on the ground or down a drain can pollute lakes, streams and drinking water.

This fact sheet provides instructions for household pesticide disposal. The St. Clair County Resource Recovery Office also has fact sheets on how to dispose of other common types of household hazardous waste:

· Adhesives
· Aerosol Containers
· Antifreeze
· Cleaners, Medications
· Gasoline
· Paint
· Solvents
· Wood Preservatives

For more information on household hazardous wastes and collection programs:
St. Clair County Resource Recovery Office
(810) 985-2443

Three common categories of household pesticides are:

· Herbicides: chemicals designed to kill plants.
· Insecticides: chemicals designed to kill insects.
· Rodenticides: chemicals designed to kill rodents.

The best way to get rid of leftover pesticides is to use them up! Follow the instructions on the pesticide label and do not overuse pesticides. Rinse empty pesticide containers three times before throwing them in the trash and use the rinse water as a pesticide. Do not burn or reuse pesticide containers.

If you can't reuse your pesticides, give them to someone who can. Give leftover pesticides to:

· Neighbors and friends
· Greenhouses and plant nurseries
· City parks
· Garden clubs

Contact your county extension office for names of others who can use leftover pesticides. Do not use or give away pesticides that are banned, unlabeled or damaged. Damaged pesticides include caked powers, liquids that have been frozen and pesticides that have been mixed with other products.

Most banned pesticides will contain one of the following ingredients. Check the product's label for:

· Silvex
· Sodium aresentate (more than 2%)
· Sodium cyanide
· Toxaphene
· Aldrin
· Chlrodane
· Dieldran
· Endrin
· 2, 4, 5-T

This is not a complete list. If your pesticide is more than 10 years old, contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture of your local cooperative extension office to check if it is banned.

Contact Information

Environmental Services Department
6779 Smiths Creek Road
Smiths Creek, MI 48074

Phone: Smiths Creek Landfill (810) 985-2443
Household Hazardous Waste     (810) 985-2443
Recycling (810) 985-2443
Fax: (810) 367-3062
Email: Environmental Services
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Solid Waste & Recycling Status: 

Not working? Refresh page.