National Gravesite Locator
Current Official Rates
Surviving Widows/children may be eligible for two different types of monetary
benefits (only 1 payable whichever is more):
- Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) (service-connected death) $1154 Monthly
(additional for other variables)
- Improved Death Pension (non-service-connected death) (up to $1,057
monthly-spouses) (variable for children)
* This benefit is payable up to 3 different income thresholds (BASIC, HOUSEBOUND,
OR AID & ATTENDANCE)
* Most commonly known as “ Aid and Attendance Benefit” which individuals are
paying significant dollars out of pocket unreimbursed for medical care for
activities of daily living and/or in need for protective environment living.
* Some parents may be eligible for a Parent DIC (income based benefit)
Federal Burial Allowance
If the veteran had passed due to a condition related to his service or his/her
service-connected condition materially contributed then a federal burial
allowance is warranted. A VA burial allowance is a partial reimbursement of an
eligible veteran's burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not
service-related, the reimbursement is generally described as two (2) payments:
- Burial and funeral expense allowance
- Plot interment allowance (change for only veterans that pass in a VA Facility
VA will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses. If the veteran is buried in a
VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of moving the deceased may be
Non service related death
VA will pay up to $500 toward burial and funeral expenses, and a $300 plot
interment allowance (veterans that pass while hospitalized in VA Facility or
approved contracted facility $700 after 10/1/11) If the death happened while the
veteran was in a VA hospital or under contracted nursing home care, the cost of
moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
County Burial Allowance
St. Clair County Allied Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Port Huron, MI
$300.00 may be payable to the funeral home in which provided burial services
or if paid in full, $300.00 may be reimbursed.
Application may be completed at the Department of Veterans Affairs office (or local
county veterans office of county in which the deceased veteran resided). Please,
provide a copy of the funeral bill (indicating paid or unpaid), a copy of DD214,
and a copy of the death certificate.
- 90 days of active service, or
- Honorably discharged because of service connected disability during a war time era,
- Dies not possessed of an estate, both real and personal, exceeding the sum of $40,000.00,
over and above all encumbrances, and
- Was a resident of the state at the time of death and a resident of the state for
a period of 6 months before entering the service ;or
- For a period of 3 years immediately before death; and
- Application is received within 2 years from date of death
Note: If the deceased did not leave a dependent surviving, but did leave an estate
sufficient to meet lawful claims, including burial expenses, then the $300.00 will
not be paid.
Veterans Memorial Service
City of Port Huron Clerk
Supervisor of Lakeside & Veterans Memorial Cemeteries
Certain sections of the City's cemeteries have been set aside to honor those Port
Huron residents who have honorably served in the armed forces of the United States
in time of war. Interments in these sections will be restricted to veterans, as
they have been defined in this section.
St. Clair County Allied Veterans Memorial Cemetery
* Honorably discharged veterans only, does not include spouse
- City of Port Huron Resident: Free
- City of Port Huron Non-Resident (St. Clair County Resident):
St. Clair County Allied Veterans Columbarium
* Honorably discharged veterans & their spouse
Niches in the Veterans' Columbaria are available for purchase by all honorably discharged
veterans residing in St. Clair County. Niches are for inurnment of cremains only.
Cost per niche:
Initial cost includes:
- Maximum of Two (2) cremains per niche (veteran & spouse)
- Containers of the cremains must be a size to fit two (2) of them in a niche approximately
12" x 12" x 12".
- Niches are to be used for inurnment of cremains only
- Cremains will not be placed in a niche unless full payment has been made.
- There will be a charge of $50.00 of each opening and closing. (Veteran $50.00 and
Spouse of Veteran $50.00)
Plaques: Veterans may apply for a Government niche either through the funeral
home of choice or the St. Clair County Department of Veterans Affairs.
St. Clair Co. Department of Veterans Affairs
200 Grand River, Suite 104
Port Huron, MI 48060
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday
(closed for lunch 12:00pm - 1:00pm)
Lapeer Co. Department of Veterans Affairs
287 W. Nepessing Street, Suite 2
Lapeer, MI 48446
8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday through Friday
(closed for lunch 12:00pm - 1:00pm)
E-mail is not necessarily secure against interception.
If your communication is very sensitive, or includes personal information like your
social security number or your claim number, you may want to send it by postal mail