The Historical Village at Goodells County Park
One objective of the St. Clair County Parks Master Plan is to preserve local
history within the county park system. To meet that goal, the Parks Commission
established a historic village at Goodells County Park. The goal of the village
is to preserve local history that was in danger of being lost, while providing
an educational venue for county residents to enjoy.
All of the buildings that are in the village have been donated and moved to the
park from different parts of the county. Each building has been carefully
restored to its original appearance and tells a unique story, which has been
documented through written history, personal accounts and photographs.
The village currently consists of five historic buildings - The Columbus Bible
Church (1860), Mudge Log Cabin (1863) Murphy/Ryan Farmhouse (1872), Lynn
Township School (1885) and the C.C. Peck Bank (1908).
The village is open by appointment and during most special events. The historic
village is the perfect destination for school groups. Many of the historic
village’s teaching points fall within classroom teaching requirements. Call
today! 810 989-6960.
Columbus Bible Church
Built in 1860, this “post and beam” church has been moved twice in its lifetime.
Originally located in Columbus Township, the church was
dismantled, moved and reassembled in the village in early 2011. The original
belfry, which was removed 50 years ago, was rebuilt to match its original
appearance. The interior is currently under going restoration and will be
available for weddings in the summer of 2012.
Mudge Log Cabin
Built in Wales Township by Isaac Mudge during the Civil War (1863), this cabin
was donated to the historical village by the great-great-great grandson of Isaac
Mudge. The cabin was completely dismantled, moved and restored by park staff
over a two- year period. During the restoration, rotted logs were replaced with
Ash trees that were lost to the Emerald Ash Borer. The rough-sawn flooring was
also made from salvaged Ash trees. The interior contains items related to
Michigan pioneer heritage and gives visitors a glimpse of life in rural Michigan
during the Civil War.
Murphy Ryan Farmhouse
The Murphy/Ryan Farmhouse was built in 1872 and moved from Kenockee Township to
Goodells County Park in December 1998. This modest farmhouse built by Irish
immigrant farmers is a classic example of rural living in the 19th century. The
house was restored over a ten-year period and opened to the public in 2009. The
house is completely furnished with 19th Century Americana on loan from the St.
Clair County Farm Museum.
The Lynn Township School
The Lynn School was built in 1885 and was moved from the City of Yale to
Goodells County Park in December 1998. This was the school’s second move, the
first being from Lynn Township to Yale. When the school was moved to Goodells
County Park, its contents were left in place, even the pictures hanging on the
walls. This completely furnished and restored one room schoolhouse gives
visitors the opportunity to see what learning was like in the late 19th century.
The school provides a perfect educational venue for area teachers and their
students. Reserve it for your class today!
C.C. Peck Bank
Built in downtown Goodells in 1908, the C.C. Peck Bank was donated and moved to
the village in 2003. The bank has been restored to its early 20th century
appearance. The building is one of four banks that were built and operated by
C.C. Peck and Company in the early 1900’s. During the depression, an armed
robbery shootout and scandal would rock the Goodells bank and small community it
inhabited. The Wales Historical Society leases the bank as a small museum that
celebrates the history of the nearby townships.
St. Clair County Parks and Recreation
200 Grand River Avenue, Suite 107
Port Huron, MI 48060